Are you prepared? Here are five things to do now to make sure you're ready for a hurricane:
1. Have a plan. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers a free guide to make sure you’re prepared if a hurricane heads your way. A family communications plan is an absolute must. Cell phones should be charged and ready to go. Consider getting good set of walkie-talkies in case cell signals are lost.
2. Emergency supplies are a must: flashlights, batteries, bottled water, non-perishable food and a good first-aid kit.
3. Make sure you have a “go-bag” ready in case you have to evacuate. The go-bag should include a seven-day supply of prescription medicines, important documents, some cash, a battery-operated radio, a first-aid kit, extra clothing, sleeping bags and personal hygiene items. Don’t forget items for your pets as well.
4. Track storms that are headed your way. Weather apps literally put storm trackers in the palm of your hand, giving you up-to-the minute storm information. Download the FOX 5 Weather app for iPhone or Android here!
5. Practice, practice, practice. Once you have your plan in place, make sure every member of your family knows and understands exactly what to do. It may sound silly, but running a couple of family hurricane drills is the best way to make sure your family is prepared.
Fox Television Stations is a participant in the Amazon Associates program. We earn fees by linking to www.amazon.com and related websites.